These are the 50 Best Restaurants in the World
Two London restaurants have been named in the prestigious awards
Fancy dinner at the best restaurant in the world? You’ll have to take a trip to Copenhagen, where Rasmus Kofoed’s Geranium has just won gold in the prestigious World’s 50 Best Restaurants awards, announced in a glitzy ceremony in London last night.
Found on the eighth floor of Denmark’s National Football Stadium, Geranium has three Michelin stars, and focuses on hyper-seasonal, meat-free dining. Central in Lima, Peru came second on the list, followed by Disfrutar in Barcelona. The UK winner, meanwhile, was The Clove Club at number 35, helmed by Scottish chef Isaac McHale. Located in the Grade II listed Shoreditch Town Hall in east London, it serves up a seasonal tasting menu that showcases the best of British produce.
The other UK restaurant to make the list was Ikoyi in St James’, which came in at number 49. Founded by friends Iré Hassan-Odukale and Chef Jeremy Chan, it spotlights food from sub-Saharan West Africa, with two Michelin stars to its name.
Noma, which won the top spot last year, has been moved to the ‘Best of the Best’ category, where it sits alongside previous winners like Osteria Francescana in Modena, Eleven Madison Park in New York and Mirazur in France.
Italy had the most winners on the list, with six restaurants placing, including Uliassi, which scooped up the Highest New Entry Award at number 12. South American restaurants also did well this year: alongside Central in second place, Brazil’s A Caso do Porco, a restaurant dedicated to all things porcine, won spot number ten, followed by Japanese-Peruvian fusion restaurant Maido.
The awards – which celebrate their 20th anniversary this year – are voted for by a panel of over 1,000 international restaurant industry experts.
A couple of weeks before the winners were announced, the team revealed which restaurants placed on the list from 51-100. Three London restaurants featured on this list: Santiago Lastra’s Mexican restaurant Kol, alongside two Shoreditch stalwarts: Lyle’s and Brat.
Here is the official list of The World’s 50 Best Restaurants 2022.
- Geranium (Copenhagen, Denmark)
- Central (Lima, Peru)
- Disfrutar (Barcelona, Spain)
- Diverxo (Madrid, Spain)
- Pujol (Mexico City, Mexico)
- Asador Etxebarri (Axpe, Spain)
- A Casa do Porco (São Paulo, Brazil)
- Lido 84 (Gardone Riviera, Italy)
- Quintonil (Mexico City, Mexico)
- Le Calandre (Rubano, Italy)
- Maido (Lima, Peru)
- Uliassi (Senigallia, Italy)
- Steirereck (Vienna, Austria)
- Don Julio (Buenos Aires, Argentina)
- Reale (Castel di Sangro, Italy)
- Elkano (Getaria, Spain)
- Nobelhart & Schmutzig (Berlin, Germany)
- Alchemist (Copenhagen, Denmark)
- Piazza Duomo (Alba, Italy)
- Den (Tokyo, Japan)
- Mugaritz (San Sebastian, Spain)
- Septime (Paris, France)
- The Jane (Antwerp, Belgium)
- The Chairman (Hong Kong)
- Frantzén (Stockholm, Sweden)
- Restaurant Tim Raue (Berlin, Germany)
- Hof van Cleve (Kruishoutem, Belgium)
- The Clarence (Paris, France)
- St. Hubertus (San Cassiano, Italy)
- Florilege (Tokyo, Japan)
- Arpège (Paris, France)
- Mayta (Lima, Peru)
- Atomix (New York City)
- Hiša Franko (Kobarid, Slovenia)
- The Clove Club (London, UK)
- Odette (Singapore)
- Fyn (Cape Town, South Africa)
- Jordnær (Copenhagen, Denmark)
- Sorn (Bangkok, Thailand)
- Schloss Schauenstein (Fürstenau, Switzerland)
- La Cime (Osaka, Japan)
- Quique Dacosta (Dénia, Spain)
- Boragó (Santiago, Chile)
- Le Bernardin (New York City)
- Narisawa (Tokyo, Japan)
- Belcanto (Lisbon, Portugal)
- Oteque (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)
- Leo (Bogotá, Colombia)
- Ikoyi (London, England)
- SingleThread (Healdsburg, California)
You might also like...