If you’re seeking new books at a lower price, or you’re trying to reduce your impact on the planet, buying second hand is a great option. If trawling through charity shop shelves isn’t appealing, here we delve into one of the US’ largest book buying websites, ThriftBooks.
A Comprehensive Guide To ThriftBooks
What Is ThriftBooks?
ThriftBooks is an online bookseller – one of the largest in the US – operating from thriftbooks.com. Prices start from $3.49, so it is a great option if you’re looking to save money. Though it mainly sells new and used books, the site also sells DVDs, CDs, VHS tapes and video games.
As an independent company, ThriftBooks is a popular choice for people trying to avoid purchasing through the retail giant Amazon, which also owns Book Depository and AbeBooks. That said, like many book retailers, the company also operates on Amazon, AbeBooks and eBay, and actually started out by selling books on Amazon in 2003.
Where Do The Books Come From?
ThriftBooks operates a bulk buying system, purchasing from libraries, thrift stores, book drives and individual sellers, often purchasing thousands of titles at a time and/or by the truckload.
How Do The Points Work?
ThriftBooks operates a points scheme, offering customers a free book for every 500 points they earn. Here’s how to gain points:
- Create an account with ThriftBooks to activate your free membership – and earn 100 points just for signing up.
- Spend money on the site; points are earned with every purchase, plus special offers and promotions, including using the mobile app and a special birthday reward.
- See your membership tier increase, with ‘Reader’ being the entry-level membership. You’ll reach ‘Bookworm’ when your annual spend hits $75, and ‘Litrati’ when you hit $150.
- Spend your points!
ReadingRewards Membership Tiers
- Reader: Earn eight points for every dollar you spend; 500 points rewards you with a free book worth $5.
- Bookworm: Earn nine points for every dollar you spend; 500 points rewards you with a free book worth $6.
- Literati: Earn 10 points for every dollar you spend; 500 points rewards you with a free book worth $7.
Note that ReadingRewards memberships are free to join, and there’s no ongoing fee – other than continued book purchasing through ThriftBooks.
View this post on Instagram
Does ThriftBooks Buy Books?
Yes, ThriftBooks buys books, but only in bulk. They provide the packaging and sort the pick-up process, while sellers just have to sit back and wait for the money to roll in.
Is ThriftBooks Legit?
Yes, ThriftBooks is a legitimate company, operating since 2003.
Does It Operate Worldwide?
ThriftBooks is based in the US and offers international shipping.
Are The Books Good Quality?
ThriftBooks sells both new and used books, with used books hand graded by quality, meaning some are gently used or used. However, this will be clearly communicated before you purchase.
View this post on Instagram