Recipe: Devon Crab from Scott’s Richmond
This light seafood dish from Scott’s Richmond is the perfect accompaniment to spring celebrations, and as Head Chef Tom Fraser notes ‘This Devon Crab recipe is the perfect treat for those cooking at home this Easter. It is fresh, light and delicious, as well as easy to prepare in advance.’ Enjoy.
Recipe: Devon Crab
- 240gm picked white crab meat
For the mayonnaise
- 2 medium free range egg yolks
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp English mustard
- ½ tsp table salt
- Ground white pepper
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil
- 200ml rapeseed oil
For the remoulade
- ½ small celeriac, peeled
- 1 granny smith apple
- ¼ bunch flat leaf parsley, picked and finely chopped
- ¼ bunch dill, picked and finely chopped
For the side
- Picked dill reserved for garnish
- Start by making the mayonnaise. Place a stainless-steel bowl on a damp tea towel to stop it slipping.
- Add the egg yolks, vinegar, salt, pepper, and mustards into the bowl and whisk well. Slowly pour the oils into the bowl whilst whisking continuously. Once all the oil is added and incorporated you should have a thick, glossy mayonnaise. Add 1/2 of the lemon juice and check seasoning.
- For the remoulade, finely dice the celeriac into 1-2mm cubes. Take half the apple, remove the core and dice. Bind together just enough mayonnaise to coat the apple and celeriac. Add a touch more mustard if you like your remoulade stronger. Mix in the parsley and dill.
- With the remaining mayonnaise, add more lemon juice until its nice and lemony and sharp. Transfer this to a squeezy bottle or piping bag for later.
- With the remaining ½ apple, remove the core and cut into matchsticks. Store in a little cold water with a squeeze of lemon to stop it oxidising.
- To serve, arrange in metal rings. Place 2 tablespoons of the remoulade in the base of each ring. press down gently with the back of a spoon. Equally distribute the picked white crab meat between the 4 rings and press down gently again. Remove the rings and pipe 5 dots of the lemon mayonnaise around the top of each crab. Stack 5 matchsticks of green apple in the centre of each and garnish with a sprig of picked dill.
Featured image courtesy of Scott’s Richmond
You might also like...