In case you missed it: London celebrated the first ever edition of the UK Caribbean Food Awards this week. The awards, the first of their kind in the UK, celebrated eateries from all over the country specialising in Caribbean food and drink – but it was a Camden restaurant that made it out on top. Here are all the winner from the UK Caribbean Food Awards 2023.
The UK Caribbean Food Awards 2023
It’s been a long time coming, but finally the UK’s Caribbean food scene is being celebrated far and wide – with the arrival of the UK Caribbean Food Awards spotlighting the best in the business.
London seemingly struck gold this year, with the majority of award categories scooped up by establishments in the capital. This includes Best Caribbean Restaurant, which was awarded to Camden favourite Roger’s Kitchen. Owned by Roger Shakes, who came to London in 1999 from Westmoreland, Jamaica. A quick look at Roger’s menu will show you that he cuts no corners when it comes to immersing Londoners in traditional Caribbean cuisine, with dishes like curry goat, jerk chicken, vegan curry and ackee and avocado with spinach and plantain lining the listings.
View this post on Instagram
Who Were The Winners?
There were 14 categories in total this year spanning multiple types of eateries, vendors and personalities. You can see the full list of winners below:
- Best Caribbean Restaurant – Roger’s Kitchen, London
- Best Caribbean Takeaway – Jen Jen’s Caribbean Kitchen, Wakefield
- Best Caribbean Bakery – Sunrise Bakery, Birmingham
- Best African Eatery – Osho’s Grill, Manchester
- Best Latin American Eatery – Sabor Dominicano UK, Croydon
- Caribbean Grocery Outlet – Dees Imports Ltd, London
- Caribbean (Non Alcoholic) Drink – Negrill
- Caribbean Drink (Alcoholic) Drink – Auntie Sam’s Rum Tump
- Caribbean Rum Cake Award – Essence of Cake, London
- Caribbean Street-Food Trader – Happy Hill Kitchen
- Caribbean Vegan/Vegetarian Eatery – Guava Kitchen, London
- Outstanding Caribbean Chef of the Year – Chef Dexter Thomas
- Caribbean Media Personality of the Year – Andi Oliver
- Founders Choice/Life Time Achievement Award – Rustie Lee
Who Were The Judges?
The judges this year included:
- Lorraine Copes – Founder of Be Inclusive Hospitality
- Rachel Graham – Digital & Social Editor; The Grocer
- Justice Williams MBE – Editor of Chief; Black Business Magazine
- Mark Dalgety – CEO & Founder of Dalgety Teas Ltd
- Michelle Trusselle – Michelin Trained Chef
- Jane Milton – Food Consultant & Expert
What Are The UK Caribbean Food Awards?
Created in 2023, the UK Caribbean Food Awards is the first five-star event celebrating the best Caribbean food and drink in the UK. Winners are selected from venues all over the UK who are doing great things to promote the Caribbean food and drink industry.
The awards also pay homage to food businesses specialising in Africa and Latin American cuisine, citing their strong links to Caribbean food in general.
When Will The UK Caribbean Food Awards Take Place In 2024?
The second edition of the UK Caribbean Food Awards will take place on Monday 7 October 2024, in a central London location yet to be announced.
Can You Get Tickets?
Yes, the awards are a ticketed event, meaning anyone can attend and celebrate the evening. Early Bird tickets are set to be released in the near future – you can keep an eye out for them here.
You can find out more about the awards at ukcaribbeanfoodawards.co.uk
Featured image: Victoria Shes, Unsplash