The White Company is an entry in our Great British Brands 2024 book.
The White Company: Great British Brand 2024
‘The world of retail is changing fast and customers today expect more than ever. The market is also cluttered and noisy so having a clear brand identity and real purpose is essential. I wanted The White Company to be famous for white. Beautiful white products for the home and our home lives that bridged the gap between designer and high street. High quality and exceptional design, yet more affordable. Our culture, too, is all about family values; The White Company is really my first child.
We truly are a lifestyle destination for the home and wardrobe and our teams are unbelievably passionate about every single product we make – I can’t emphasise enough how much love and attention to detail goes into every new range. Everything must be great quality, designed beautifully and made to really stand the test of time.
White is at the heart of the brand, as is constantly trying to inspire our customers with new and exciting ways of enjoying it. Doing all we can to deliver a wonderful, personal customer experience, be it in one of our 65 stores or online, is vital. Listening to our customers’ feedback and constantly seeking to improve underlines everything.
After a thrilling year, in which we opened five more stores across the UK, 2024 marks our 30th birthday. We are very much looking forward to celebrating all that we have achieved over these past three decades and can’t wait to share our future plans, of which we have many. We try really hard to live and breathe our original core values today as much as when we started: to offer stylish, beautifully designed products, principally in white, that are of the highest quality at outstanding value, and to provide a customer service and shopping experience that is second-to-none.’
Chrissie Rucker OBE, Founder
Five Proudest Moments
- Being the first British retailer to be certified by The Good Cashmere Standard®, with all our cashmere clothing and accessories GCS-certified since 2020.
- Publishing For The Love Of White, a beautifully photographed coffee table book full of clever interior design tips, in 2020. It was the UK’s best- selling interior design book.
- Chrissie being awarded an MBE in 2010 for her service to the retail industry by HM Queen Elizabeth II and, in 2018, an OBE by the then-Prince of Wales, as well as the Veuve Clicquot Tribute Award, which recognised her achievements in retail.
- Founding The White Heart Foundation in 2014, which currently partners with three exceptionally worthwhile charities: St Mungo’s, Samaritans and The Prince’s Trust, where Chrissie is Founding Gold Patron of the #ChangeAGirlsLife campaign for Women Supporting Women.
- Adding five stores to The White Company’s UK portfolio in 2023, including its first store in Northern Ireland.
What I’ve Learnt…
- The importance of an amazing office culture.
- When starting a business, find something you love doing that fills a gap in the market.
- Mentorship can be as simple as reaching out to one or two people in your industry whose opinion you really trust – you will be surprised how generous people can be with their time.
THE WHITE COMPANY
2 Television Centre, 101 Wood Lane, London, W12 7FR
+44 (0)203 7589222