Now is the time to start planning your next dream holiday. And, if you’re looking for paradise, the white sands and turquoise seas of the Maldives might mean it’s close to the top of your wish list. Focussing on family adventures, romance and unparalleled experiences, we’ve teamed up with the experts at family-run travel company Turquoise Holidays to curate this comprehensive guide to the Maldives, including the best resorts to book now. Whether you’re looking for a couple’s escape or a group excursion, relaxation or memorable moments, these beach-front hotels, overwater restaurants and paradisal beaches will make your bucket list holiday all the more perfect…Enquire About Your Dream Maldivian Adventure With Turquoise Holidays Here
The Expert’s Guide To The Maldives
Why The Maldives?
This archipelagic country is truly unique, set in the Indian Ocean with incredible encounters around every corner. ‘The Maldives remains the most aspirational destination in the world, home to extraordinary marine life, azure waters, and home to the iconic overwater bungalows,’ Turquoise‘s team of Travel Specialists tells us. ‘Our clients who visit the Maldives have memories to last a lifetime.’
Plus, it’s Turquoise Holidays’ best-selling destination, topping the bucketlist of almost every traveller, especially those seeking rest, relaxation and rejuvenation. ‘You do not need photoshop!’, the Turquoise team adds. ‘The colours are truly as vibrant and dramatic as the photos.’ Overwater stays come as standard, and the secluded desert island vibe is guaranteed. World class hotels are in the majority, with many home to world-class spas, sustainability labs, underwater restaurants and more. There are also lush jungles to explore, as well as reefs to observe (and protect). Treehouse bars nestle along coastlines, lagoon spas offer the perfect place to relax, and conservation programmes set the standard high.
‘Waking up to a panorama of tropical sights completely confirmed that the Maldives was, and always will be, the ultimate honeymoon destination,’ adds Antony De Liseo, Senior Travel Specialist at Turquoise. ‘This is not only just down to the sheer beauty of the island nation, but also what it has to offer. There is no doubt in my mind that any of our hand-picked, Turquoise properties will assure you a seamless honeymoon.’ But it’s not just honeymooners that thrive here: the Maldives ticks many boxes for families, with world-class childcare and a vast array of accommodation types, activities and cuisines, making travelling with children of all ages fun, easy and stress-free.
- Getting There: Direct flights run from London to Malé in 10.5 hours, or get a connecting flight via Middle East hubs, taking around 12–15 hours. Why not extend your trip with a stopover? Sri Lanka is a very popular destination to combine with the Maldives.
- Time Difference: GMT + 5 hours
- Resort Access: Make sure you are aware of the onward journey from Malé to your resort. Most resorts are accessed via seaplane from Malé, but some closer islands are just a short speedboat ride away.
- Best Time To Visit? December to April, when average rainfall is at its lowest and sunshine hours stretch the longest.
Which Island Is The Best?
Picking your Maldives holiday by island is almost impossible. ‘It is best to speak to the experts about the islands and room types on offer,’ the Turquoise Holidays team advises. Plus: ‘Speak to someone with first hand knowledge. To many, a seaplane is the ultimate way to arrive, but for others, shorter transport by boat is more enticing.
It’s much better to consider your destination by hotel. ‘Some islands are exclusively adults only, whereas others are a playground for families,’ say the experts at Turquoise. ‘It is important to know the islands vary in size dramatically, which affects the scale of facilities, restaurants and experiences on offer.’
As well as how far the resort is from Malé (and how you get there), picking your resort location hinges on how remote you’d like to feel. Consult the specialists at Turquoise Holidays if you need advice making your choice: some islands and resorts are quite close together, while in other instances you will be in a villa with only a vast expanse of ocean in front of you.
Top Tips For Choosing Your Maldives Resort
Where to start? With hundreds of hotels and resorts in the Maldives, picking your dream resort is a daunting prospect. Luckily, the experts at Turquoise are on hand to help. They suggest:
- Get talking: Track down a friend or family member who has visited the Maldives before, and pick their brains for insights.
- Arrival: Will it be seaplane or speedboat? The choice is yours.
- All a-board: Which board basis would you prefer? If it’s all inclusive all the way, you’ll want to pick a hotel that provides this option – and vice versa for half board and bed and breakfast.
- Under the sea: How would you like to explore the marine life of the Maldives? All resorts have access to a house reef, however some you can swim to and others require a boat journey – which isn’t ideal if you’re looking to dive right in. Offerings vary from facilities to serious divers to those who prefer to glide across the surface on a paddleboard.
- Cater to the kids: Overwater accommodation is one of the largest draws of the Maldives, however the ease and privacy of beach accommodation (especially with your own swimming pool) is much more relaxing for younger families.
- Budget: It’s an obvious one for all holidays, but your island choice should bring your overall budget to mind. All-inclusive is a popular option so that all worries can melt away upon arrival. The team at Turquoise Holidays recommends above all that travellers don’t get stuck on an island on a bed and breakfast basis where you can’t afford to relax and eat and drink later in the day – costs can be high, especially with taxes on top.
Of course, if in doubt, take guidance from the specialists at Turquoise Holidays.Enquire About Your Dream Maldivian Adventure With Turquoise Holidays Here
Ready to find your dream resort?
Seven Incredible Hotels In The Maldives To Book Now
For personalised recommendations and bespoke itinerary suggestions, please contact the Turquoise team today by phone, email or book an appointment via video or at one of the beach house inspired offices in London or Buckinghamshire. turquoiseholidays.co.ukEnquire About Your Dream Maldivian Adventure With Turquoise Holidays Here