How To Go To Sydney WorldPride 2023
WorldPride 2023 is just around the corner, with just over a month to go. Sydney was chosen as the host city at InterPride’s October 2019 Annual General Meeting held in Athens, Greece – the first Southern Hemisphere city to win the honour. With the special date fast approaching, we roundup when, where and what Sydney WorldPride will be, and how UK travellers can attend.
How To Go To Sydney WorldPride In 2023
What is Sydney WorldPride?
WorldPride is a large-scale event organised by InterPride to celebrate LGBTQ+ Pride on an international scale. Over 500,000 people are expected to attend Sydney WorldPride 2023, which will take place over 17 days, incorporating the popular annual celebration of Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras.
Though the events commenced in 2000, only seven WorldPride events have taken place:
- 2000: Rome, Italy
- 2006: Jerusalem, Israel
- 2012: London, UK
- 2014: Toronto, Canada
- 2017: Madrid, Spain
- 2019: NYC, USA
- 2021: Copenhagen, Denmark & Malmö, Sweden
When will Sydney WorldPride take place?
Sydney WorldPride is set to occur from 17 February–5 March 2023, during Australia’s summer. The event coincides with the 50th anniversary of Australia’s first Gay Pride Week, and the fifth anniversary of marriage equality in Australia.
What events are happening at Sydney WorldPride?
As well as incorporating Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras, there is a busy schedule of over 300 events arranged for Sydney WorldPride, with The Human Rights Conferance at its core, which will spotlight global, regional and domestic human rights issues facing people based on sexual orientation and gender identity and expression.
- 24 February: The Live & Proud opening concert, hosted by Courtney Act and Casey Donovan, and headlined by Kylie Minogue.
- 26 February: The Domain Dance Party, set to be Australia’s largest LGBTQ+ circuit event in history, lasting for seven hours, with 10,000 tickets available.
- 1–3 March: The Human Rights Conference – Asia-Pacific’s largest ever LGBTQ+ human rights conference ever.
- 5 March: Rainbow Republic, Presented by Optus – a six-hour event featuring live music and DJs, food outlets and bars to close WorldPride Sydney 2023.
How can people from the UK go to Sydney WorldPride 2023?
International visitors to Australia must have a valid visa – the Home Affairs office recommends travellers apply at least one month in advance. Time is running out, and the deadline for most curated trips has passed, so you will have to plan your own trip, whether you opt to stay in a hotel or rental. Just don’t forget your travel insurance!
Featured Image: Pride progress flag outside Sydney Opera House (c) Destination NSW.
You might also like...