Octagon is an entry in our Great British Brands 2024 book.
Octagon Developments Ltd: Great British Brand 2024
‘We launched in 1980 with modest early aims – eight employees building eight houses a year, hence Octagon – but from the outset the vision was always to create high-quality homes in the best locations in London and South East England. Staying true to that consistent ethos has driven our growth for 43 years; today we build between 100 and 200 houses a year, have 110 employees and are a highly trusted brand. We’re not a volume house builder, so buyers have confidence in the quality they’ll get in their new home. Yet we pride ourselves on remaining a face-to-face business, both with clients and our own staff.
‘AI is very much on our horizon as we constantly search for ways to improve people’s enjoyment of their homes. We monitor progress in technology very closely as our business depends on being in touch with the latest trends and what buyers want. Technology already plays an increasingly important part in our homes: international buyers tour a house without travelling, through virtual reality; heating and appliances controlled through a phone app; installing a Tesla Powerwall, a rechargeable home battery system that stores energy from solar panels or the grid, for use when you need it. Already, AI recognises and responds to living patterns – when you use a room, when it needs to be heated.
‘We are design-led with 17 in-house architects and can work with external architects on a bespoke basis – there are no house “types” for us. Currently, we have 22 live projects across the Octagon Group, including a development of seven homes in Putney, where new-builds are rare. We are two-thirds through the 126 homes planned for our flagship Broadoaks Park in West Byfleet, Surrey, a destination popular with young families, downsizers and overseas clients alike.’
Tim Banks, CEO
Five Proudest Moments
- In 1986, six years after the company was founded, Octagon was one of the first developers to sell a home for £1million+ outside London.
- Launching Octagon Interiors, our in-house end-to-end design service in late 2020, offering a unique turnkey service to complement the homes we build.
- Buying the West Byfleet 25-acre plot in 2018, for what has become our Broadoaks Park development, now nearing completion.
- The 2020 launch of our new venture, Chancery Homes, part of the Octagon Group, to meet industry and customer demand for high-quality, but accessibly priced housing.
- I joined Octagon in 1998, embracing the high-quality ethos at its heart. In the 25 years since, I’ve had a lot of happiness and good memories.
What I’ve Learnt
- I’ve learnt so much from our founder, David James; even after 25 years at Octagon and as CEO, I learn every day.
- Nurture the core values that first brought success. Then you can adapt to change, staying ahead of what customers want.
- Our people are everything – 60 percent have been here over ten years, and our independent craftspeople are considered extended family.
OCTAGON DEVELOPMENTS LTD
Weir House, Hurst Road, East Molesey, KT8 9AY
+44 (0)20 8481 7500