These days, if you’re in need of a recipe, chances are you look to TikTok first to see what’s looking good with the masses. Certain dishes trend on the platform for a reason, and the latest to capture the attention of the internet is the viral Marry Me Chicken. Read on to find out exactly what it is – and how to make it at home.
What Is It?
Marry Me Chicken is a dish with a focus on (you guessed it) chicken, seasoned with Italian spices and coated in a creamy tomato sauce. An internet hit with over 400 million views on TikTok, the story goes that the chicken is so good that the next question your dinner guest will ask is for your hand in marriage.
@themodernproper Obviously this recipe sounds delicious, but why make marry me chicken tonight? Simple ingredients, wow-worthy flavors, and it will be on your dinner table in 25 minutes. Dive into a bite of tender chicken breast with sun-dried tomatoes, herbs, and a luscious cream sauce. Minimal ingredients make this recipe budget friendly and easy to shop for. #themodernproper #marrymechicken #chickenrecipes #chickenfordinner #chicken #easychickenrecipes #creamychicken #comfortfood #easydinners #easyrecipes #tuscanchicken #comfortfood #sunddriedtomatoes ##onepanmeal ♬ original sound – TheModernProperWeeknightDinner
Another story cites that the popularity of the dish stems from 2016, when Delish editor Lindsay Funston served up a Tuscan-style chicken meal to her producer – who immediately (and jokingly) proposed marriage to her.
These stories have given Marry Me Chicken legend status, as well as a huge cult following online where chefs, creators and at-home cooks. Whether you’re sniffing out a proposal or looking to wow guests, it’s the perfect dinnertime dish to try with loved ones.
@gimme.delicious Marry Me Chicken is one of the best ways to cook chicken breasts! Tender and juicy chicken breasts cooked in a creamy sun-dried tomato sauce – the perfect combination for an easy weeknight dinner. #recipes #marrymechicken #cooking #food #dinner #lowcarb #tuscanchicken #healthydinner #dinnerideas #chickenbreast ♬ Thing of Beauty – Danger Twins
Recipe: Marry Me Chicken
We’ve scoured TikTok for some of the platform’s best Marry Me Chicken recipes and have collated them into the ultimate C&TH edition. Enjoy!
- 4 chicken breasts, sliced in half
- 1 tsp of salt, plus more to taste
- 1 small onion
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 chicken stock cube dissolved in 300ml of hot water
- 250ml heavy cream
- Half a jar of sun-dried tomatoes
- 40g parmesan cheese, plus more to serve
- Fresh basil leaves, to serve
- Pat the chicken dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or pan. Add the chicken breasts and cook on for about 5 minutes on both sides or until golden. Transfer your chicken to a plate.
- To the same pan or skillet, add the onion and cook until translucent, then add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Now bring together the sauce. Stir in heavy cream, chicken stock, sun-dried tomatoes, parmesan cheese and salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken back to the pan and bring the sauce to a simmer, before reducing the heat to medium low. Simmer together for 5 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through (75°C or 165°F when tested with a thermometer).
- Take off the heat and plate up. We recommend garnishing with basil and cheese, and serving alongside pasta or potatoes.
Featured image: Getty Images