3 Delicious Summer Recipes From TikTok To Try Now
Blood Orange Kale Salad by Violet Cooks
What’s summer without salad? When done right, salads are healthy, filling and super tasty – and just what you need when you need something refreshing to eat (that isn’t ice cream) in the middle of summer. Internet chef Violet Witchel – known as Violet Cooks on her channels – gives her usual kale salad a fruity spin by incoporating blood orange. Don’t knock it ’til you’ve tried it…
@violet.cooks Big kale gal if you couldn’t tell #kale #salads #glutenfree ♬ Sure Thing (sped up) – Miguel
For the salad
- 1 bunch of kale
- A drizzle of olive oil, half a lemons juice, and a pinch of sea salt
- 1 radicchio
- 2 blood oranges
- 1 large shallot or two small ones
- 1/2 a cup of pistachios
- 1 package of peppered goat cheese
For the dressing
- 60ml of olive oil
- 20 ml lemon juice (about 1/2 a lemons worth)
- 20 ml white wine vinegar
- 8 cloves of garlic
- 20 ml of honey
- 20 ml Dijon
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- De-spine and roughly chop your kale into bite sized pieces. Rinse and dry it and drizzle with the olive oil, lemon juice, and sea salt. Massage it vigorously until it turns dark green throughout.
- Slice the radicchio and shallots. Peel the pith off of the orange and slice.
- In a blender blend together the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, honey, dijon, sea salt, and red pepper flakes.
- In a medium hot pan toast the pistachios. They are a very fatty delicate nut so will toast quickly. Toss the regularly so they don’t burn.
- In a large bowl combine the kale, oranges, radicchios, pistachios, shallots, dressing, and goat cheese.
- Toss everything together and enjoy!
Summer Rolls by The Imperfect Nutritionist
If you’re not a salad person, but can’t bear the thought of cranking up the oven this summer, fear not. Try these veggie-packed summer rolls by Jennifer Medhurst, aka The Imperfect Nutritionist. ‘What’s not to love about these summer rolls!’ said Medhurst on Instagram. ‘ They are packed full of healthy and delicious herbs and veggies and the peanut dipping sauce is out of this world.’
@theimperfectnutritionist Summer Rolls ☀️ (Full recipe write up on IG:@jennifermedhurst) #healthyrecipes #healthyrecipe #quickhealthyfood #easyhealthyrecipes #stayhealthyeasy #easyhealthyrecipe #summerrolls #summerroll #easyhealthymeals #nutritionist #londonnutritionist #nutritionistlondon #plantbasedrecipes #plantbased #plantbasedtiktok ♬ Just a Cloud Away – Pharrell Williams
- Rice paper roll wraps
- Cucumber, sliced into batons
- Mint, leaves no stem
- Basil, leaves no stem
- Carrots, sliced into batons
- Avocado, sliced
- Coriander, leaves no stem
- Butter lettuce
- Sesame seeds for topping
For the sauce
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp tamari or soya sauce
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 thumb sized piece of garlic, grated
- Fill a shallow plate (or a pie pan or 9″ round cake tin) with an inch of water. Have another plate standing by ready at the side.
- Place one rice paper in the water and rotate it in the water for about 10 seconds. You want it with some tautness to it still not super floppy. If it doubt go for less time rather than more. Carefully lay it flat on the additional plate.
- Leaving about 1 inch of open rice paper around the edges, cover the lower third of the paper with your fillings. Sprinkle generously with the fresh herbs.
- Fold the lower edge up over the fillings, rolling upward just until the filling is compactly enclosed. Fold over the short sides like you would to make a burrito. Lastly, roll it up. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. And don’t worry if it breaks you can just put this side plate down.
- To make the peanut sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients.
- Serve the spring rolls with peanut sauce on the side. You can serve them whole, or sliced in half on the diagonal.
Watermelon Fruit Jello by My Healthy Dish
Now for dessert. In summer, we want something cool and refreshing – and nothing fits that description quite like fresh fruit. California-based chef My Nguyen, otherwise known as My Healthy Dish on social channels, shows you how to recreate the viral watermelon fruit jello ravaging TikTok in her tutorial below.
@myhealthydish Had to make the Viral Watermelon Fruit Jello! #watermelonsugar #watermelonjello #fruitjello ♬ original sound – My Nguyen
- A watermelon, with inside scooped out
- A mixture of fruits, enough to fill up the watermelon ‘bowl’
For the jello
- 3 cups water
- 4 packets of gelatin
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- Cut off the top of a watermelon and scoop out the insides using a spoon, to create a ‘bowl’.
- Set the watermelon in a bowl to keep it stood up, and then fill it with fruit of your choice (My uses grapes, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries and blueberries).
- Combine three cups of water with four packets of gelatin and a 1/4 cup of sugar and heat to gelatin packet instructions.
- Wait for the mixture to cool, and then ladle into your watermelon bowl until it is full and the fruit are covered.
- Leave to cool in the fridge for 24 hours (or until set).
- Cut the watermelon bowl into slices, as though eating an actual watermelon, and enjoy!
Featured image: Getty Images