Rachel Vosper is an entry in our Great British Brands 2024 book.
Rachel Vosper: Great British Brands 2024
‘I have always been committed to running the most sustainable candle business and have been offering my refill service now for close to 30 years. To add another layer, clients can commission a bespoke scent from my studio in Belgravia. From the acorn of a scent, we can produce candles, reed diffusers, room sprays and more. For 2024, after many months of research and development, I am ready to launch an exciting new candle refill concept that will revolutionise how one can refill their empty candle receptacles via letterbox.
I think AI has its place and could help when people want to develop their own scent, deciphering their likes and dislikes. That said, the process of designing a fragrance is personal, nuanced and complex, as scent has the power to help stir emotions and, for now, AI is unable to dig that deep into the olfactory system. I do feel my clients still desire and benefit from human interaction and the handmade nature of my candles.
As the business grows, I am in the final stages of setting up a new UK-based factory. This will continue to support my sustainable values and allow me to fully concentrate on creative collaborations and developing my customer experiences. I would like to turn our atelier into a place for bespoke refills and entertaining such as candle-making workshops. It would be so nice for people to come in, experience and understand the brand.
Further afield, our international clientele is forever growing, and so I am planning to open my first retail venture in the UAE in late 2024. I am also keen to reignite former plans to set up a studio in NYC. My future ambitions are to maintain the intimate, cult and current sustainable aspects of the brand while scaling the business with integrity.’
Rachel Vosper, founder
Five Proudest Moments
- Accepting a casual offer in 1994 to help make candles on a beach in Barbados, which eventually led to the founding of the brand.
- Seeing my candles displayed in The Cross, Holland Park, for the first time in 2001 and taking my parents to see my candles displayed in Liberty in 2007.
- Receiving the keys and unlocking the door to my first stand-alone store in Belgravia on Valentine’s Day 2011.
- Becoming a Walpole Brand of Tomorrow in 2015 and Walpole Power List Tastemaker in 2020. Winning the Made in Belgravia award, and the award for best sustainable candle/home fragrance brand at the Country & Town House Sustainability Awards 2024.
- Our long-standing relationship with our neighbour The Berkeley, and being commissioned to capture the essence in scent of the evolution of its Blue Bar. The bespoke fragrance is enriched with precious woods with hints of clove, tart rhubarb, and nutmeg.
What I’ve Learnt…
- Success happens when hard work meets opportunity. You can’t wait for anyone to knock on your door. You need to give your work your all.
- There are moments when everything goes well; don’t be frightened, it won’t last.
- Get absolutely everything in writing and make sure your contracts are solid, particularly in terms of suppliers, IP and trademarkings.
69 Kinnerton Street London SW1X 8ED
+44 (0)20 7935 9666