Feeling tired of your hair? If you’re struggling to move from short strands to long locks, then it might be time to employ the big guns. Here we share some of the best hair growth products on the market, as well as expert advice and tips on how to make your hair grow quicker.
What are hair growth products?
‘Hair growth products are specially formulated treatments or supplements that are designed to support healthy hair and scalp, encourage hair growth and assist with issues like thinning hair and hair loss,’ says Catherine Leray, Head of R&D at THG Labs. ‘These products come in many forms including serums, shampoos, conditioners and supplement tablets.
‘It is important to note that we all lose hair every day and this is absolutely normal but if you experience unexpected hair loss, you should consult a professional as it could be a sign of an underlying medical condition.’
Do hair growth products actually work?
‘The efficacy of hair growth products can vary depending on individuals, their needs and also the product they are using,’ explains Catherine. ‘Some products may provide noticeable improvements in hair growth, density and thickness while others may have limited effect. It is essential to understand that results can vary from person to person.’
What are the key ingredients you should look for in hair growth products?
There are a lot of ingredients you can look out for with your haircare products, says Catherine. ‘When searching for effective hair growth products, there are several key ingredients you should look for. One of the powerful ingredients you should look for is caffeine. Caffeine is known to wake you your roots and stimulate hair follicles and in turn, promote hair growth. Another key ingredient found in hair growth products is biotin (vitamin B7), known to support the production of keratin and to energise roots for healthier looking hair.’
Other ingredients to keep an eye out for include:
- Vitamin E: An antioxidant that helps improve blood circulation, which can promote a healthy scalp and hair growth. It also aids in repairing damaged hair follicles.
- Niacin (Vitamin B3): Helps improve blood flow to the scalp, providing essential nutrients and oxygen to the hair follicles. This can potentially stimulate hair growth.
- Zinc: Helps repair and growth of hair tissue. It helps maintain the oil glands around the hair follicles, which keeps the scalp moisturised and healthy.
- Iron: Carries oxygen to the hair follicles and promotes their proper functioning. Iron deficiency can lead to hair loss, so ensuring an adequate intake of iron is important for healthy hair growth.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Have anti-inflammatory properties that can help support a healthy scalp, and promote overall hair health and hydration.
- Peptides: Certain peptides, like keratin peptides, collagen peptides and copper peptides, are believed to support hair growth by providing essential building blocks for healthy hair and stimulating the production of collagen and elastin.
- Essential Oils: The likes of rosemary oil, peppermint oil and lavender oil have been linked to promoting hair growth. They may help improve scalp circulation, strengthen hair follicles, and provide nourishment to the scalp.
Do Scalp Massagers Work?
‘Another way to encourage hair growth is to stimulate the scalp by treating yourself to a relaxing scalp massage,’ advises Catherine. Scalp massagers can help both with products application – massaging serums into the skin of your scalp – as well as relieve tension and itching. It’s also simply a nice way to give yourself a little massage.
The Best Hair Growth Products To Try Now
How Else Can We Make Our Hair Grow Faster?
Ditch The Heat
One of the biggest causes of hair damage is heat, usually from styling products like hair dryers, straighteners and curlers. When hair is exposed to extreme temperatures it can quickly dry out, leaving strands burnt and broken – and prone to snapping. Try to avoid using excessive heat on your hair where possible, but if it’s unavoidable then make sure to apply a heat protector to your strands beforehand.
Sleep On Silk
Silk pillowcases offer a much softer alternative for hair than regular cotton. The smooth surface of silk reduces friction, which can help prevent hair breakage, split ends and frizz. It also helps to maintain the natural oils in your hair, as silk doesn’t absorb moisture like other fabrics – making it an ideal choice if you want to quickly grow out your hair.
Try Hair Vitamins
When in doubt, there’s typically a vitamin or supplement that can give you a boost – and hair is no different. For hair growth, keep an eye out for products with vitamins A, C and E as well as biotin (otherwise know as vitamin B7 or H), as these help with keratin production. We’re rounded up some of our favourite beauty supplements here to get your started.
Featured image: Rana Sawalha, Unsplash