From Fashioning Masculinities to the recent Chanel, the V&A is on a roll when it comes to fashion exhibitions – and this brand new offering centred on fashion model and British icon Naomi Campbell will be no exception.
V&A Announces New Naomi Campbell Exhibition
Naomi Campbell, born in 1970, has a huge 40-year career in fashion – and it is about to be chronicled in a revelatory exhibition at the V&A. Tracking her beginnings being scouted in Covent Garden aged 15 to her worldwide prominence, the exhibition will draw together Campbell’s extensive wardrobe of haute couture alongside designer archives and pieces from the V&A collection to paint a detailed portrait of one of the world’s most famous models.
Campbell collaborated with the V&A to produce NAOMI, the first exhibition of its kind, foregrounding her voice and perspective. She says: ‘I’m honoured to be asked by the V&A to share my life in clothes with the world.’
Campbell is a renowned trailblazer, known for her ability to ‘walk’ the catwalk and her incredible collaborations with every major fashion house, publication and photographer. Most notably, perhaps, she was the first ever Black model to feature on the cover of Paris Vogue in August 1988, aged just 18. Today aged 53, her relevance persists, and she continues to star in global catwalk shows, advertising campaigns and editorial fashion shoots. Meanwhile, her cultural leadership and activism set her apart, transcending (and transforming) the traditional parameters of the fashion model.
‘Naomi Campbell’s extraordinary career intersects with the best of high fashion,’ says Sonnet Stanfill, Senior Curator of Fashion at the V&A. ‘She is recognised worldwide as a supermodel, activist, philanthropist, and creative collaborator, making her one of the most prolific and influential figures in contemporary culture. We’re delighted to be working with Naomi Campbell on this project and to celebrate her career with our audiences.’
What To Expect At NAOMI
The exhibition will chronicle Campell’s 40 years in the industry, including:
- Around 100 looks from the best of global high fashion
- Designs by Alexander McQueen, Azzedine Alaïa, Chanel, Dolce & Gabbana, Gianni and Donatella Versace, Jean Paul Gaultier, John Galliano, Karl Lagerfeld, Kenneth Ize, Valentino, Virgil Abloh, Vivienne Westwood, Yves Saint Laurent and more
- Stunning garments and fashion accessories
- Striking fashion photography by leading photographers such as Nick Knight, Steven Meisel and Tim Walker, curated by Edward Enninful OBE
- Recognition of Campbell’s mentors, including Nelson Mandela, who opened Campbell’s eyes to social injustice and inspired her to use her platform for social change
- A spotlight on Campbell’s work with the Black Girls Coalition and The Diversity Coalition to champion diversity on the catwalk
- A look at Campbell’s ongoing work championing emerging creatives.
NAOMI opens on 22 June 2024.
The V&A South Kensington (Cromwell Rd, London SW7 2RL)
Ticket sales will open soon at vam.ac.uk
Featured image: Marco Bahler (c) V&A