Leaving us in 1968, season 12 of Call the Midwife aired in February 2023, with the nuns and nurses from Nonnatus House continuing their midwifery and family care duties, while a fresh face appeared, too: Sister Veronica. Fans will be pleased to hear that, as has been the norm since 2012, the show will return with a Christmas special this winter, kicking off series 13. Here’s everything we know so far.
Call The Midwife Christmas Special
When Is The Call The Midwife Christmas Special?
As with previous years, the Call The Midwife Christmas Special will air on BBC One on Christmas Day, this year at 8.15pm. It precedes series 13, which will begin at 8pm on 7 January 2024.
In the US, the episode will air on 25 December at 8pm ET on PBS.
Where Is It Streaming?
In the US, Call The Midwife will be streaming live at pbs.org and on the PBS app – or watch on demand later.
What Will Happen?
Setting the scene two weeks before Christmas, Apollo 8 is poised to circle the moon. Hot off their honeymoon, Trixie and Matthew are preparing for their first Christmas together as husband and wife, when Geoffrey (Trixie’s brother) pays them an unexpected visit. But Sister Monica Joan is convinced this will be her final Christmas, and decides she’ll not live to see a man walk on the moon. The Nonnatus Family – including Trixie and Geoffrey – joins forces to lighten her state of mind.
With drama galore, it’s set to be a heartwarming episode, showcasing the wholesome spirit of Christmas and togetherness as it always does.
Fans of the series will be glad to hear the whole current cast will be returning for the festive special. That includes:
- Jenny Agutter as Sister Julienne
- Judy Parfitt as Sister Monica Joan
- Stephen McGann as Dr. Patrick Turner
- Linda Bassett as Nurse Phyllis Crane
- Laura Main as Shelagh Turner
- Helen George as Senior Nurse Beatrix ‘Trixie’ Franklin
- Megan Cusack as Nurse Ann ‘Nancy’ Corrigan
- Rebecca Gethings as Sister Veronica
- Max Macmillan as Timothy Turner
- Georgie Glen as Millicent Higgins
- Zephryn Taitte as Cyril Robinson
- Cliff Parisi as Fred Buckle
- Annabelle Apsion as Violet Gee
- Daniel Laurie as Reggie Jackson
- Olly Rix as Matthew Aylward
Call The Midwife returns on Christmas Day at 8.15pm on BBC One and iPlayer, followed by series 13 at 8pm on 7 January 2024.