These Gastropubs Have Been Voted Best in the UK
Britain's 50 best pubs for foodies have been crowned
Pubs are at the heart of British culture. We have great ones dotted all over the country, from cosy boltholes in the Cotswolds to remote Scottish inns and buzzy London taprooms. Particularly special, though, are the gastropubs, where you’re served top-quality food amid relaxed surroundings. We all have our favourites – but which ones have been crowned the UK’s best in the 2023 Estrella Damm Top 50 Gastropubs list?
Securing the gold trophy this year is The Parkers Arms in Clitheroe, Lancashire, which came in second place in the 2022 list. Located in the idyllic town of Newton-in-Bowland, it’s spearheaded by chef-patron Stosie Madi and her business partner Kathy Smith. The pair took on the venue back in 2007, and have spent the past 15 years cultivating a loyal following among the country’s foodies – with visitors coming from far and wide to taste the goods. Diners can expect honest, British food which makes the local produce shine – all ingredients are sourced within a 30-mile radius of the pub.
This was followed by last year’s winner, The Unruly Pig in Woodbridge, Suffolk. Owned by the famously charismatic Brendan Padfield, with the kitchen run by chef Dave Wall, it offers a twist on classic pub food with British-Italian dishes: think parmesan gnocchi, wild mushroom lasagne and braised pork ravioli. Unlike a lot of pubs, there are good vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free options too.
In third place is Freemasons at Wiswell in the pretty Ribble Valley village – not far from the winning spot, The Parkers Arms. This one is renowned for its home-from-home atmosphere, with elevated pub dishes created by head chef Steven Smith, including a special tasting menu featuring the likes of guinea fowl pie and Whitby cod with a lobster bisque.
Other top 50 winners included The Mariners, Paul Ainsworth’s Cornish pub, Tom Kerridge’s The Hand & Flowers in Marlow, and The Sportsman in Whitstable. In London, The Red Lion and Sun in Highgate came out tops in tenth place, followed by London’s only Michelin-starred pub The Harwood Arms at number 13.
Newcomers on the list, meanwhile, included north London’s neighbourhood favourite The Baring, which has a focus on sustainability, and The White Horse, a pub-with-rooms set on the Norfolk coastline.
The Estrella Damm Top 50 Gastropubs list is created using hundreds of votes from food critics and writers, gastropub chefs and food influencers.
Here is the full list of winners:
- Parkers Arms, Newton-In-Bowland
- The Unruly Pig, Woodbridge
- Freemasons at Wiswell, Wiswell
- The Sportsman, Seasalter
- The Kentish Hare, Tunbridge Wells
- The Angel at Hetton, Hetton
- The White Swan at Fence, Fence
- The Hand & Flowers, Marlow
- The Fordwich Arms, Kent
- The Red Lion and Sun, London
- The Mariners, Rock
- The Cornish Arms, Tavistock
- The Harwood Arms, London
- Shibden Mill Inn, Halifax
- The Coach, Marlow
- The Beehive, Great Waltham
- The Cadeleigh Arms, Tiverton
- The Pack Horse, Hayfield
- Pyne Arms, Barnstaple
- The Black Swan, Ravenstondale
- The Moorcock Inn, Sowerby Bridge
- The Guinea Grill, London
- The Baring, London
- The Masons Arms, Knowstone
- Canton Arms, London
- The Rat Inn, Anick, Hexham
- The Pipe and Glass, Beverley
- The Longs Arms, South Wraxall
- The Dog at Wingham, Canterbury
- The Felin Fach Griffin, Brecon
- The Hardwick, Abergavenny
- The Loch and The Tyne, Old Windsor
- The Bull & Last, London
- The White Horse, Brancaster
- The Black Bull, Sedbergh
- The Swan, Bampton
- The Bell Inn, Langford
- Scran and Scallie, Edinburgh
- The Dog & Gun Inn, Skelton
- The Duck Inn, Stanhoe
- The Duncombe Arms, Ashbourne
- The Black Bear Inn, Usk, Wales
- Heft, High Newton
- The Broad Chare, Newcastle
- Woods, Dulverton
- The Gunton Arms, Norwich
- The French House, London
- The Eagle, Farringdon, London
- The Butchers Arms, Hepworth
- Royal Oak, Whatcote
You can find out more at top50gastropubs.com
Featured image: The Hand & Flowers
You might also like...